Monday, January 21, 2013

Home Sweet Home?

Hello readers,

It's been more than a month now that I've been back in the states. This will be my last blog entry, so I thought I'd sum up for you how my life has been since my return! 

During the last week I was abroad, my sister and I traveled to Madrid, Barcelona, and London. We touched down in Little Rock on January 20th. I was utterly exhausted the entire time I was home for the holidays. It seems as if all my adventures from the last five months had finally caught up with me (although everything was definitely worth it!). It was nice to relax in the house in which I grew up, but at the same time, I was still living out of my suitcases. And I definitely ached for my comfy bed in Fayetteville! I spent the majority of my time in Little Rock scrapbooking my life as it was in England. Throughout the semester, I'd kept hold of ticket stubs, train passes, post cards, receipts, pictures, newspaper articles, notes from friends, assignments for class, etc, etc. I've since filled up two huge books with all my memories! I keep looking through them, even though I know I'll be a bit sad by the last page just because it came and went so quickly. 

I was forewarned that I may suffer "reentry shock," which is pretty much the same thing as "culture shock," except you tend to view your home through a much more negative scope. For instance, I am now fully aware of the problem of obesity in this country, which I hadn't really paid much attention to before I went abroad. I was immediately taken aback by the amount of fast food chain restaurants that line the roads. And gas station food scares me now! I was completely overwhelmed in Walmart on a busy Saturday afternoon, and I even got nervous to drive my car for the first time (thinking maybe I'd forgotten how to do something, or even that I'd drive in the opposite lane haha). Not to mention, I've searched for specialty foods I'd grown to love in England, but I can't find them anywhere. 

I kind of feel restless and unsettled, as if I'm not really supposed to be here anymore. Like I'd somehow already graduated from this point in my life. It's very surreal to be sitting on my couch right now, when it feels like just 24 hours ago, I was sitting here pairing down the clothes I would pack for my trip! I'm actually more stressed out about graduating then I was when I left, mostly because the date is fast approaching, (yikes) but also because I understand now how difficult it's going to be to get a job. Most students my age are suffering the same anxieties, but it certainly doesn't help seeing the upcoming struggles from an outside perspective. I also have an Honors Thesis to begin (gulp). On the bright side, my cable isn't set up right now, and I actually don't miss it! I tried watching some reality TV while in Little Rock, but I quickly got bored. Who is this Honey Boo Boo?

One thing's for sure; living in another place opened my eyes to numerous other possibilities that were previously hidden from me. I'm already planning my next adventure. Possibly (fingers crossed) a long road trip to some national parks over spring break. I've reconnected with friends here, but still miss my flat mates. Luckily, I've been in touch with a couple, and hopefully one day I'll visit! 

Yep, things are definitely weird. And different. Not in a bad way at all, just different. I'm grateful for the experience that I can honestly say changed my life, and I wouldn't take it back for the world! Initially, this blog was meant to catalogue my events for future prospective study abroad students. It ended up becoming a sort of diary, which I'll always treasure. But hopefully my stories have been inspiring, and for those in doubt, persuasive!

Thanks for reading! Cheers!
Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment