Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Work Days & Day-trips

Howdy!

I wanted to give a quick blog update now, since I'll be locking myself away in the library for the next several weeks and probably won't have a chance (or the energy) to write a post. My second "assignments" (aka essays) are due for both my classes on December 14. Unfortunately, I have not even received the essay questions for one of those classes, so I'm starting to get a bit stressed. Not to mention, my "takeaway" finals for both classes are also essays of the same length. So all in all, I have four, 2000-2500 word essays to write in the 3.5 weeks I have before I head back home for the holidays. Yikes. 

But before I become too much of a negative Nancy (I did want to study abroad, right? hah) I figured I'd give you all an idea of the course work I have on a weekly basis, as well as an example of the essay questions. For my 18th Century Literature class, we're usually assigned a book to read each week, or excerpts from other journals or historical writings that my professor provided us in a big course pack, free of charge. I have recently finished reading Moll Flanders by Defoe and Pamela; or Virtue Rewarded by Richardson. Both were easy reads, although Moll Flanders was much more entertaining. I became enraged while reading Pamela & almost refused to finish it. No worries, my seminar leader completely understood. (And you would too, if you've also read it. If not, feel free to Google it. Or don't, for your own sanity.) 

I also have weekly readings for my Medieval - Tudor Lit class, which usually consist of shorter poems or letters that were written in Middle English. Since the amount reading is so light, (although it takes much longer since I'm constantly trying to decipher the language) we must also research secondary literature and write a short analysis (roughly 400 words) on those sources each week. I'll have to begin my 9th summary (or "log" as my seminar leader calls it) tonight once I finish this post. The essay/assignment questions for both of my classes are incredibly vague, compared to the very specific questions I'm used to responding to for classes at Arkansas. For example: " In the Restoration and early eighteenth century, 'writing becomes a gender-indeterminate activity, if yet an activity incessantly about gender' (Margaret Anne Doody). Discuss this quotation with reference to any of the writers we have studied this term." TAs construct the questions and like to keep them as open ended as possible, which can either help or hinder the process, depending on your aptitude for essay writing. 

In any case, I have only 2 more days of classes left! Woohoo! This fall seems to have completely flown by, and I will definitely not be ready to leave when the semester ends. I feel like there are still so many places to see and things to do before I go! Speaking of which, I can at least check a few more destinations off my list, seeing as I just returned late last night from a weekend visit to Bath. I finally got a chance to explore the Roman Baths themselves and take a turn around the inside of Bath Abbey!


The Roman Baths


Bath Abbey


Bath Abbey

The baths were amazing. I became completely immersed in their history and spent as much time as I could reading the info panels that decorated the inside of the museum. At the end of our tour, we stopped to take a few swigs of the "healing" water from the natural springs that feed the baths. I hadn't expected the water to be so warm, and it tasted like rust or iron with a "hint of strawberries," so said a little boy to me when I asked him what he thought. Bath Abbey was very peaceful, as are most religious sites I've seen on my trip so far. It was also incredibly quiet given the amount of tourists walking in and out. 

Sunday evening, we went to an early showing of Skyfall at the local cinema, which was fantastic, by the way! And after walking around the city centre and enjoying the festive holiday lights, we called it a night. 


Bath city centre

The following morning, we caught a quick train to Bristol, a bigger city just 15 minutes outside of Bath. We spent the afternoon touring the city by way of Banksy graffiti art!! (Please, do yourself a favor and go Google Banksy RIGHT NOW if you don't know who I'm talking about.) It was so. much. fun. I have been looking forward to that since I arrived in the UK, knowing full well this is Banksy's home land! We saw several of his works, like these: 

"Grim Reaper"
(Photography by Steven)


(Photography by Steven) 

We also saw other Bristol landmarks along the way, such as the Bristol City Docks, St. Mary Redcliffe Church, The "Matthew," Bristol Cathedral, College Green, the Council House, Wills Memorial Building, Christmas Steps, as well as the See No Evil street block, which has been completely saturated by legal graffiti art on every surrounding building and corner.    

                           
The City Docks
(Photography by Steven)


St. Mary Redcliffe Church


 
The Council House in front of College Green
(Photography by Steven)


                                      
                                                                 Wills Memorial Building
(Photography by Steven)


'See No Evil' city block
(Photography by Steven)

As we wandered back to the train station Monday evening, we came across a shopping/event center called Cabot Circus. Wide pedestrian avenues were lined with shop after shop after shop, and in the middle of those streets were wooden cottages filled to the brim with Christmas decor, gifts, treats, ornaments, clothing, accessories, coffee drinks, alcoholic beverages, etc. Each tiny hut held more holiday surprises than the one before it! Dazzling light displays overhead illuminated the area with a soft, warm glow.  I must admit, I was absolutely giddy to be welcomed to the holiday season so formally! We stopped to enjoy some drinks and the surrounding atmosphere before heading back to Bath! 

Wooden cottages en route to Cabot Circus


And now, I'll attempt to begin researching for my essays after I finish up some weekly homework. I have a planned trip to Barcelona coming up the first weekend of December, so I'll be sure to post something about that once I return. 

Cheers!
Kat 





No comments:

Post a Comment